Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Prayers we Pray, the things we thing won't happen, and the moment that makes you stand still

If you know anything about my family or have been to my house, you will know that my family has like this little extension of people that we call family, eventhough they aren't. They are Andrea, Blake, Bailey, and Nanny Shirley.  Mom and Andrea are best friends, Zachary and Blake are best friends. We go EVERYWHERE together.  They were even there when I got engaged.  They are my family no matter what.

Last night at 3 a.m. Andrea called my mom in tears.  Apparently at some point Blake was in accident.  All the police know is that he walked back to his dorm sometime after one and was then found on the side of the road around three with a broke jaw, lose teeth, and a swollen brain.  Complete strangers found and thank God they called it in.  What was worse, is that his roommate Tyler Timms was missing.  No one had heard from him since he left Blake at the bar at one.  Mom then had to tell my brother.  My brother was suppose to go to West Ga with Blake and Tyler and decided last minute not to.  My brother, well he flipped out.  He kept telling mom he was going to kill who ever did this. When I woke up he was still crying.  We both agreed we had to go to school, he had a quiz, and I missed yesterday's class.

When I got in my car and started processing everything, it finally clicked what happened.  Blake was seriously hurt, my brother was suppose to be there.  I then said out loud, "Thank you God for letting my brother change his mind! That could have been him!"  I then started crying.  What I realized after I said these words, that Blake WAS like my brother, and THIS did happen to him. What if he could have prevented it? My body began to shake because to many "what if" were running through my mind.

When I pulled into school, my brother was parked across from me.  His entire body was shaken and his eyes were red.  I realized that everything that I felt, he felt ten fold.  I realized that then that I have spent my entire life protecting him, and if you have a sibling you know how tough of a job this is.  But this was something that I could never have protected him from. Why? Because we all believe that things like this would NEVER happen to us, but then they do. I was trying to figure out why my brother insisted on going to class, because I would have just skipped.  One, he was trying to be responsible and two, I don't think that he was ready to see Blake.  I think that once he did it would prove that this actually happened

I learned after I got out of class that Tyler had left the bar at one.  Blake was still there and drunk.   Tyler went home and went to bed, the police had to come to his dorm room to find him because he never answered our calls.  Three scenarios are being tossed around, one he fell out of a bed of a truck, two he attempted to jump in a moving truck, three someone beat him up.  No matter what happened it break my heart that the people did not care enough to call the police, I guess if he was beaten up that would explain why he was left there.  Blake is in ICU, sedated and on a ventilator.  As soon as Bubs gets out of class we are headed to see him.  I ask that you please keep all of us in your prayers. 

1 comment:

  1. Sherika, I am so sorry to hear this heart breaking news. I know that your brother and your family are so very close to Blake and I know this news is shattering. I will send up many prayers for Blake, his family, and yours. Keep us updated on his condition for sure.

    ReplyDelete